Sunday, November 18, 2007

Downloadable Media

I spent quite a bit of time investigating the HCPL digital site and, Yes, I did find (several) titles that I would like to check out. Just in case you're wondering - I would like to check out The Year of Magical thinking (among many other titles). I enjoyed the layout of the digital site as well as the breakdown of the genres to the left of the page. It is very nicely done. Some things I noted and compared to the LibriVox site include - public domain and RSS. To explain, all the books available via the LibriVox site fall into the category of Public Domain - as Librarians we all know that this means that the copyright has expired. So, the downfall here is that the catalog will be limited in terms of currency. Someone looking for the latest James Patterson certaily will not find it here. That doensn't mean, of course, that a wealth of interesting titles do not remain. I came across Poe's Murders at Rue Morgue. This is def something I would consider checking out. In this respect, the HCPL digital site has a leg up as it offers a more current selection. On the other hand, the LibriVox site included an RSS feed to newly catalogued titles. I was never able to locate an RSS feature on the HCPL site. In the end, advantages and disadvantages to both.

No comments: