Sunday, November 18, 2007

You Tube

Ahhh, You Tube...a wonderful invention! I love You Tube and I utilize it regularly. I'm a pretty busy gal, so often times I find myslef running behind on the latest news, pop culture, music, etc. To "catch (myself) up", I log on to You Tube and search. Maybe, there is a press conference, a music video, or a sketch I missed in real time - You Tube allows me to search for the videobyte and watch!

For the purposes of the Discovery Excercise, I searched You Tube for "LibraryY Videos". I ran across a public service announcement from the ALA. It was a spot featuring comic George Lopez. Obviously, he is promoting Reading in the clip - but I thought, Wow, even the ALA is utilizing You Tube! I am very proud of the fact that the organization of our profession; an organization of which I am a member, is out there, online, keeping up with the Jones'.

The ALA spot I came across is proof that there are ways to integrate the latest and most popular technologies into the library and its services. The iHCPL tutorial asked, specifically, how something like You Tube could be applied to library websites...my answer to that is - how do I count the ways??? I would love to see, for example, instructional type video links on my library website. Perhaps a short video clip of someone demonstrating the printing process or a catalog search. You may even post a short video which provides a virtual tour of a particular branch. There are so many possibilities, and I can't wait to see them develop into real components of library websites everywhere!

No comments: